STARTALK-CHELER Chinese Leadership Program
The STARTALK-CHELER Chinese Leadership Program is designed to help experienced teachers and academic directors of Chinese heritage schools/programs face the challenges of teaching learners from preK-12 with diverse linguistic backgrounds. The participant will (1) understand the differences and similarities between heritage language and foreign language teaching, (2) design unit/lesson plans that address the needs of heritage and foreign language speakers with differentiated instruction, backward design, and task/experiential community-based language learning, (3) design a curriculum that incorporates technology and National Standards in material development and assessment.
WHO: Experienced teachers and academic directors of community-based Chinese heritage schools
WHERE: Residential program—Main Campus, The University of Toledo, Toledo, Ohio.
- Online: June 23-July 18, 2014 four-week online readings and preparations
- Onsite: July 20-26, 2014 one-week residential program on UT campus
- Online forum for continuous support and mentoring (during summer and fall semester of 2013)
- Free 6 continuing education units
- Certificate of Completion
- Free housing and meals for residential participants; free lunch for local participants
- Free program materials, including a textbook
- Learning from the best in the field and nation-wide network with Chinese heritage school leaders
- Limited travel support will be available*
*Some restrictions apply.
Visit http://startalk.cheler.org/ to learn more about program details and the instructors
Go to https://acsurvey.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_0rBMTrDhRavxM8t to complete the online application by June 18, 2014. (rolling admission till positions filled)